Thursday, September 22, 2005

Shelter-in-place

OK, traffic is impossible. A friend who left at 03:30 today, 3 hours ago, is 90 miles away, and stopped in traffic on a back road (the major highways are stopped, period).

Prospect: not being able to get clear of the traffic mess, and running out of gas within a 200 mile radius of Houston. Gas stations are all empty 'round here, and our CONFIRMED hotel reservation 600 miles away was cancelled yesterday by the hotel (Lynn found when she double-checked).

Alternative: shelter-in-place. At least we'd have food and water, and be with people we know. Last May, I participated in a war-gaming exercise some of you have heard about. We simulated a small nuclear (ok, I always say "nu-cu-lar" -- it's about the only thing I have in common with President Bush!) explosion at the port of Long Beach, CA. One of the dozen or so "lessons-learned" from that exercise was that it's far-and-away best for people to "Shelter-in-Place" in almost all circumstances that carry ambiguity (until informed authorities give other advice).

Lynn and I shut off the TV (which is just fueling the panic right now) and sat down to talk about it. We've just decided that shelter-in-place is best, and that's what we're going to do.

OTHER COMMUNICATIONS:
1. While I've got internet connectivity, that might be an easier way to contact me than by phone (already, cellphone coverage is being overwhelmed). So, while my computer is working and internet connected, I'll have some IM systems working, and Skype, too. Details:
AOL screen name: vip54law
Skype user-name: vpolley
MSN user-name: vpolleyXXXXhotmail.com (replace XXXX with the @ sign)
Yahoo chat: vpolley

I'll post to this blog for as long as I can from home.

Vince (07:00 on Thursday, 22 September 2005)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home